29 August 2009

Hoppy the Begging Bird

Yesterday, when I took my father out to lunch I saw something that touched me.
There was a little black bird, hopping around near the door of the restaurant with it's mouth wide open. Back and fourth it hopped, never once closing it's mouth. From it's erratic behavior, I could tell it was sick or just plain starving. I started to think, how clever it was for hopping around right in front of the door-like a little beggar. I had to go inside and find it some bread.

Then I started thinking...people get hungry too...the bird was symbolizing to me that there are creatures that need to be provided for. That same day I was driving and on the exit of the freeway that I had to get off at, there is always a homeless person begging with a sign. I thought as I approached, oh no, I just can't handle it today, my heart bleeds too much for these people and I just don't want to feel it.
When I slowed to a stop at the exit, there were actually four people begging at the light. I had never seen that before. I started thinking I need to make them sandwiches or...do something. Once I got to my destination, I cried because I felt so helpless.


incidentally, this is not the afore mentioned bird.
this is a reenactment. a stand-in bird, if you will.

0 comments: