21 July 2009

Is it possible to be friends with ex lovers? I used to think it was, but now I see that it is highly unlikely that it could work.

In the age of Myspace and Facebook, keeping ex lovers as "friends" has been elevated to a sport. After all, not much you have to do to retain a friend on those sites. Somehow, just knowing that you have a connection to them still is reassuring enough that you can move on. You don't have to call or write really, except maybe the occaisional wall post declaring "happy birthday...". The term friend is now different, I have (slowly) come to find out. Because an ex love is your "friend" on one of these sites, does not mean that they will return your call when you decide that you miss talking to them. Don't be fooled by this false friendship. I was.

Come to find out that he doesn't think that we can relate to one another and he doesn't wish to retain the friendship. He doesn't hate me or even dislike me, in fact he "thinks I'm a pretty amazing person"...but that we are just too different.

Do friends have to be exactly alike? I must have missed that memo. In pulling apart that email, I surmise that he is not friend material, and that I was blinded to his assholiness by my deep virus-like love for him. I am no longer blinded and I am shocked that I missed all the big clues pointing to what a dickhead he really was.

Delete. Defriend. Deep breath. Move on.

parting shot. i couldn't resist.

0 comments: