17 July 2009

Can I just be quiet?



Today I realized that there are WAY too many distractions from thinking and being creative.

Ok well, let's see...there's Facebook, Twitter and the timesuck that is the internet in general. There are the two magazines I subscribe to (Wired and Entertainment Weekly) and the books I have yet to read, not to mention the books I read on my iPhone Stanza app (much like a Kindle). *Sigh* ...and then there's television. My good old childhood friend. Now, with the advent of the DVR, I have a backlog of shows that I need to catch up on (what is this, entertainment, or homework?) There are all the DVDs that I have yet to watch from the movies I rented and then ripped and cataloged-also, the movies I have downloaded onto my external hard drive.
I have the complete six season set of Northern Exposure (great show, worth the re-watching) and the first seasons of Star Trek TNG and Bones...seriously, I could go on. Did I mention that my cable provider has movies on demand??!

How is a girl supposed to get any thinking done? How with all this noise and drama, can I possibly sit down and try to be a productive member of society?

Have you ever tried to just sit and think, or to meditate and been distracted from it within seconds because you thought of a song you HAD to hear or realized shit, it's Thursday and Burn Notice is waiting on my DVR? I am just starting to realize how addicted I am to the media that drips like an IV into my psyche day and night. Am I ever in my car without the music on? How long has it been since I just lit a candle and sat in my room and thought about stuff? Shit!
Has the MTV generation turned us into a bunch of A.D.D addled manic depressives? I am also just realizing that all of these things are solo pursuits, subsequently keeping us separate from "normal social interaction" (i.e. Facebook and Twitter as a primary means of communication with friends for months at a time does not count as normal.)

I'm going to try to sit here for ten minutes without doing anything. I bet it feels like an hour.
Wish me luck.




0 comments: